Recipe of the Month - Red Velvet Hot Chocolate
This Velvety smooth Red Velvet Hot Chocolate is topped with sweetened whipped cream and chocolate to make a satisfying rich beverage for Valentines Day!
INGREDIENTS – 4 Servings
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 10 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used mini chocolate chips)
- 2 teaspoons Red Food Colour
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For Cream Cheese Whipped Cream:
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, cold
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For Red Velvet Hot Chocolate:
- Place milk and granulated sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to simmer on medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate with wire whisk until melted. Stir in food colour and vanilla. Pour into serving cups. Serve with marshmallows and Cream Cheese Whipped Cream, if desired.
For Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip cold cream until soft peaks form (this may take 5-10 minutes) Start on low and gradually increase speed to high. Place whipped cream in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla in bowl of stand mixer and beat until well combined and creamy.
- Fold in whipped cream by hand until fully combined and fluffy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Dollop or pipe onto red velvet hot chocolate.